Thursday, July 10, 2008

More Gadgets and Gizmos

The heat should abate today and just about everyone in the area is talking about it. How to cool the house more effectively? Today my neighborhood email list had a marvelous post from the President of our Neighborhood Association detailing all the various kinds of air-conditioning. There are many choices short of the costly solution of full air.

I am thinking about a ceiling fan or a roof exhaust fan to pull the hot air out of the house. Basically, if I can gain a few degrees I can stop fearing the heat exhaustion that inevitably sets in after several days of this. Ideally I would like something solar powered to make it not dependent on the power grid.

More fans are definitely in the offing. The ones that are small personal fans that run on batteries have struck me in the past as toys. Still they would be a back-up in case of a power outage.

The most decidedly low-tech cooling solution is dousing my hair in cold water in the morning. Personal evaporative cooling, stays with me in any room of my house. In addition, a long piece of discarded t-shirt fabric wrung out in cold water is draped around my neck.

Now if I could figure out a way to cool the computer!

More when the weather is cooler. I am grateful that I am surviving and that the fog is on the way!

No comments: