Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ash Wednesday

It is the first day of Lent and the first daffodil is blooming! It seems too cold for me, but then I am not a plant! It is beautiful and fragile and I wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been for a friend's visit. While she waited for me to come to the door, she noticed it and pointed it out to me.

The daffodil blooming on the first day of Lent is a glorious symbol for the flower is a symbol of the resurrection, as appropriate for Easter as the lily is and full of hope and joy. Even though we seem still locked into cold warmth will come, the sun will shine and the world come alive again.

Then I decided to try to solve my computer keyboard problem--the space bar went back to sticking--by seeing if anyone in my neighborhood had a usable keyboard. Through the power of our neighborhood list I immediately had more offers than I could answer and two keyboards from one kind woman sit in my front hall waiting to be tried out.

All of this engenders gratitude and offsets the fear that builds when I listen to the news with its constant din of recession. Our community is not the world given us by the nightly news but our neighbors, our friends, our family. Our economy is more than the sum total of macro trackable events such as the stock market; it is even more than the sum total of all our transactions for it is about our interactions with each other on one on one encounters too.

I am more hopeful tonight than I have been in some time and am going to goof off and watch a movie.

No comments: