Saturday, August 11, 2007

Yogurt Cheese and the movie Witness

After pouring the whey off the first batch of yogurt cheese, I felt wasteful. The whey isn't bad, it is just wet. Tooling around on the Internet, I discovered that the whey can be used in making soup (which I had guessed would be a use) and also in baking bread.

While it is actually chilly enough at the moment to consider soup where I live, using the whey in baking seemed more attractive. Actually, I decided to use it in buckwheat pancakes. The buckwheat pancakes begin as a mix from a local grocery store, Piazza's in Palo Alto. The brand is Bob's Red Mill, which can be found on the Internet,
  • http://www.bobsredmill.com/


  • The mix requires an egg, two tablespoons of oil (I substitute two tablespoons of melted butter) and water to the consistency that the maker wishes. The whey made a perfect substitute for water, increasing the protein in the pancakes. In addition, the pancakes rose more than I have ever seen them rise and were delicious. I will do this again. Soon.

    After making these yummy pancakes for lunch, I settled down to knit a bit and discovered the movie, Witness, on tv. This is one of the most beautiful movies of all time. I have always been intrigued by the uses of work sequences in a way that was reminiscent of musicals and certainly looked choreographed. The rhythm of the movement is dance like. The movie is restrained and elegant, showing the beauty of the Amish way of life and of farm living like no other that I am familiar with. The love story is delicate, sensitive and poignant.An outstanding movie and a nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

    No comments: