Saturday, June 28, 2008

Yard Sale in Progress

Day one of the yard sale is behind me and I sit here a very pooped participant, but very grateful indeed. My friend who has been doing this for eight years is a real pro. The set-up looks so attractive and professional, more like an outdoor shop than a yard sale.

My friend and her husband even have a tent, the open market kind, that is set up in part of the patio. This is so neat and so fun. I want one. (Wish list time.)

Several people bought my cards and that pleased me too. They are pretty and I wish I could get out to shops to place them. One young woman mentioned a shop in downtown Mountain View that I will contact.

I had great conversations with two neighbors, whom I had not seen in a long time and overall the experience was fun, although tiring.

Tomorrow we will open up again and see if more goodies move through. I would love to sell one Peace banner and some more cards. At least I gave away a lot of the book marks that serve as my business cards.

It has been years since I have seen this many people in one day and my brain is as tired as my body! Sometimes I am surprised at the extent to which I really have become a recluse and am not sure this is good. On the other hand, it is my reality and so I live it. Monday the return to the solitary life will probably feel very good!

Yard sales are part of the suburban landscape, as much a part of summertime ritual as swimming and sunscreen, or fourth of July picnics. I don't think that I have ever participated in one before so I feel now as though I have experienced a sort of initiation into a rite that I was missing out on.

I am grateful even though I am now behind schedule on everything that I am trying to write--there will be time for that.

No comments: